Tuesday 17 August 2010

Handsome Girlfriend

Author: Wataru Yoshizumi
Volumes: 9
Status: Complete
Year: 1992

Handsome Girlfriend is the story about a young actress (Mio) who is becoming a rising star in Japan's entertainment industry. Although she is not sure of her path in that industry, she meets a boy, Ichiya who sees in her a great furture as actress and "Handsome Woman". Inspite of their quarrels at first, Mio finds herself starting to have feelings for Ichiya who has his mind completely focused on building his career as a movie director.

The story isn't very hard to understand. It is a development of the relationship between the two main characters and some side ones have some details about their personal lifes as well. The interesting thing to see is the ongoing of their dreams and careers and how they fight for what they want, while trying to stay together.

When the artwork is concerned, I have a problem (as I stated before in my Marmalade boy review) with the drawing of this mangaka. Although the men are very handsome I can't overlook the horrible (indeed terrible) clothing and the lack of aesthetics when their looks are concerned. The backgrounds are nicelly done and the drawing of the action scenes and movie envolving environments are equally nice.

There has been a OVA made of this manga that does no justice to the story whatsoever. The problem with these OVAS is that the lack the development of the characters as though they're seen in the mangas and make it very hard to enjoy. For me, I preferred Marmalade Boy a whole lot more because of the way I could relate with the characters. I found myself closer to their relationship and their fears than I feel to this couple. Even in the subject of the story (regarding the Entertainment business) I believe it lacks something to make it as spectacular and as interesting as some other mangas that I have read inside the same criteria.

This manga is a 9 volume compilation by the well known Wataru Yoshizumi from 1988 till 1992. The OVA adaptation is from the year 1991 and you can buy the collection from Ribon (in Japanese) and Egmont Manga and Anime (in German). If you want to read it online you can visit Mangafox, Animea or simply typing it on google + read online.

Final Thoughts?
Storyline - 3
Artwork - 3
Love development - Romance (kissing)
Final Grade - 3

No comments: